Tuesday, May 11, 2010

self employment



....im hearing a lot about how hard running a store is..
..i could make a point that having any job is stressful IF it isnt working out.... ....say you were in charge of a big project for a company...and it didnt work and lost the company money....hey....if you got the same bad results the next time you would probably be fired...say you are in charge of a school and the grades go down down down....would they keep you? if you are in charge of tires for a trucking company and they start having a huge spike in flat tires on your watch is that a failure on your part? the boss would probably say yes and you are fired...
...if you have to work for a living, well, its going to be a hassle.....the market or some boss will be out there judging your efforts....and if they dont meet expectations you will have some bad results..
..my point is running a store is hard, but working is hard.
..being responsible for anything is hard....the hardness isnt the point ...making it work is the point...at least being self employed,, we are the boss and are out there taking a shot at making something work on OUR TERMS.. that means a lot to me.....but i totally respect the market....i have to....
....when i go into the foo foo room to fluff it up..or put in something brand new i get a thrill and hope my customers respond the way i planned...THEN i try to react appropriately.... meaning keep it up and build on the idea that worked or drop something that fell like a lead balloon if it didnt.... i dont see the point of blaming the economy, saying stores dont work, or focusing on all the unfairness out there...is it unfair that i like red and the buyers dont? .or they didnt get my vision? well maybe...but i know nobody really cares .....were they supposed to? dang!!!..basically its just my tough luck...
.with a store...the market sends in its report on our efforts....i really believe that...and it scares me daily .... when things arent working...i look out at the market ..not in at my stress or my feelings... the stress to me is like getting hot when you are sick....its trying to report something is wrong...wrong with my decisions, my choices, my marketing....etc..no matter what the outside problems are, if i want to survive i better change my ways and fit into the outside/market situation im faced with....
......i rant about the advice women in business take...because i see so many facing impossible hurdles.. because they took it....we have to be realistic..
..i love my work and i do actually know a lot of happy shop owners and show dealers who are making their financial goals.
..thats my soapbox for today!!! we picked this job!!!!.

3 comments:

The Whistle Stop said...

A friend once told me, as she was delivering her hand made baskets before an open house at my store...
(it was midnight, she had worked all day, went to an evening class, then drove 2 1/2 hours... I had been working on getting the store displays ready, my feet felt like I was walking on "stubs" and it looked like I'd get just a few hours of sleep before I would great customers in the morning)
"Remember, we are living our dream!"
Sometimes we just have to be reminded!

Relics said...

Hi Ann,

I love this- really really love it.

Thank you
Thank you
Thank you

Sandy and Joe/rhubarb reign said...

Excellent post! Great to see you at Springfield. I have a note to send you some photos of our collage stuff. Will try to get it done this week or early next. Thanks for asking. xo